Trauma Treatment

Counseling4Kids provides specialized treatment for foster children and at-risk youth who are suffering from trauma-related stressors. Trauma related disorders are prevalent when the child experiences significant emotional stressors such as physical or sexual abuse, neglect, or are witness to domestic disputes. Trauma related symptoms can include nightmares, flashbacks, hyper vigilance,intense efforts to avoid people and places associated with the trauma, irritability, poor concentration and depression.

We offer evidence based specialized treatment including “Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy,” designed to effectively reduce trauma-related symptoms. Counseling4Kids’ licensed therapists who work with trauma clients have received in-depth training in the TF-CBT model. Trauma treatment is provided in our School-Linked Program, and our Home-Based Program.

Who should be referred to Counseling4Kids for specialized Trauma Treatment?

A child who has experienced a significant traumatic event (or series of events), such as sexual abuse, severe physical abuse, witnessing community violence or domestic violence, or other life-endangering and terrifying incidents.

In addition to the above, the child has symptoms which are clearly related to the trauma, such as anxiety, depression, flashbacks, nightmares, inability to stop thinking or talking about what happened, irritable mood, unable or unwilling to talk about what happened, emotional numbing, fearful, can’t be alone, etc. The child must meet the following admission criteria:

  • Child is between ages 3 and 18 and is able to communicate adequately with the therapist.
  • Child has full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility for Los Angeles County.
  • Court authorization has been given for the child to receive mental health services.
  • How do I refer a child to Counseling4Kids for Trauma Treatment? Referrals to Counseling4Kids are made by the Clinical Social Worker, FFA Social Worker or Department of Mental Health Staff.
  • The following is required to process your referral:
    • Copy of the child’s MediCal Card or MediCal Authorization letter
    • Copy of Court Minute Order stating child is to receive counseling
    • Completed Referral Form

If you want to refer a child in the Northern region of LA County:

Download the Burbank Office Referral Form

If you want to refer a child in the Southern region of LA County:

Download the Torrance Office Referral Form